Apogee Engineering Physics Laboratory Technician in USAF Academy, Colorado
2016 SBA Prime Contractor of the Year, Region VIII
Apogee Engineering is seeking a part time(3 days a week) Physics Laboratory Technician in support of the United States Air Force Academy (USAFA) located in Colorado Springs, CO. The Physics Laboratory Technician will provide laboratory technician support to three of the USAFA Department of Physics (DFP) Research Centers.Apogee is a growing provider of research, engineering, development, operations, financial and administrative expertise across an array of federal government organizations such as the Department of Defense, NASA, Department of Interior, NASA, and the Department of Transportation.
Why work with us?
Apogee Engineering, LLC is a growing provider of research, engineering, operations, financial and administrative expertise across an array of DOD and Federal Civilian Customers. Our company was founded on the commitment of making a positive difference for our customers and staff alike. This commitment, infused with integrity and a passion for excellence, has propelled Apogee Engineering into the ranks of an elite small business company, known for unwavering dedication to their client's success, a warm and family-like work environment, and an enthusiasm to providing the right solution at the right time.
What you'll be doing:
- Prepare lab equipment, experimental apparatus, and maintain general laboratory readiness which can include: instrument calibration/maintenance logs, laser gain medium cell preparation and filling, and laser system alignment and maintenance etc.
- Assist research scientists and cadet investigators with lab protocols and equipment use in experiments, data recording/collection and scientific records
- Ensure the laboratory is well-stocked and resourced
- Identify and recommend supplies/equipment needed for purchase
- Find supply and equipment sources/vendors and obtain quotes for purchases
- Prepare equipment requisition forms for custodian signature
- Maintain laboratory equipment to include turn-in of outmoded or inoperable items and inventory existing assets
- Perform monthly safety inspections of laboratory areas to include chemical safety, laser safety, hazardous materials (HAZMAT), and electrical safety
- Make recommendations to the director or deputy as to safe practices and general lab organization (space management, asset utilization, etc.)
- Document safety inspections in the LORC Lab Safety Notebook
- Forward any discrepancies noted or recommendations to the director via email
- Utilize machine shop tools to create experimental apparatus for use in the research labs
What you'll need to have:
- Background in optical laboratory safety practices and techniques; inventory management, mechanical design software; and CNC machining techniques
- Familiarity with 3-D printing, machine shop tools, and CNC machines is essential
- Working knowledge of scientific instruments to include Ti: Sapphire lasers, diode laser stacks, ultra-high vacuum systems, spectrophotometers, coating chambers, ovens, 3-D micro-imaging systems, and optical microscopes
- Familiarity with MSDS and ANSI Z136.1 is required
- Excellent communicator with strong interpersonal and team working skills
- Proficient with Microsoft Office suite
- Familiarity with government/military environment to include rank structure and protocols
- Must also be US citizen
- Ability to pass government background check
Equal Opportunity Employer: minority/female/disabled/veteran. Equal Opportunity Employer: disability/veteran. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status
Job Start/End Date: 13-Jun-2018 to 12-Aug-2018 (MST)
Department: Air Force
Location: USAF Academy, CO, USA
Employment Type: Part Time