Arete Associates Engineer, Optical in Longmont, Colorado
Areté Associates, an employee-owned company, is a growing research and development firm recognized for contributing to national security objectives by supplying innovative solutions to challenging technical problems faced by the United States. Our Longmont, CO office has an immediate opening for a Engineer, Optical . This is an exempt non-supervisory full-time position.
Designs, models, analyzes, and tests optical, electro-optical, and opto-mechanical systems and components, including sensors, lasers, fiber-optics, and telecommunications products. Conducts research and development into phases of physical optics and geometric optics, lasers, laser characteristics, laser maintenance, and broadband optical sources. Applies research of complex optical systems to achieve desired optical outcomes. Develops component specifications, tolerances, simulations and tests procedures.
Prepares calculations, models, and simulations to predict optical system performance
Analyzes collected hardware data to assess system performance
Develops software interfaces to control hardware components (e.g. through Labview/Matlab/Python)
Develop laser and optical system specifications
Works with manufacturing and engineering staff to support design
Assembles, aligns and tests lasers and optical system systems
Documents designs, procedures, and performance
Designs optical fixturing and tests to support laser alignment, construction and performance verification
Inspects optical component and systems.
Prepares and presents technical briefings.
Participates in design reviews and maintains documentation of resulting system design.
Prepares electrical and optical hardware for demonstrations and experiments.
Plans and executes field tests and demonstrations of prototype hardware electro-optical systems and components
Supports proposal preparation for new technical work
Additional duties as assigned.
Required Qualifications & Experience:
Typical Education Experience: BS + 5 years experience /MS in one of the following areas: Physics, Astronomy, Electrical Engineering, Optical Engineering.
Qualified candidates should have the following attributes:
• Intellectual curiosity and desire for continuous learning
• Skilled and innovative problem solver
• Works well independently and as part of a team
• Strong work ethic
• Detail oriented
• Comfortable in adapting to support a wide variety of roles to support different types of laser and lidar system development projects.
• Proficient use of standard MS Office software (Word, PowerPoint, Excel)
• Proficient in use of standard electrical and optical test equipment operation (e.g. oscilloscopes, signal generators, laser sources, spectrometers, detectors, etc.).
• Proficient in Labview, Matlab, or Python
• Possesses basic understanding of optical detectors and radiometry
• Capable of developing calculations or models to support optical designs
• Capable of developing code to process collected sensor data
• Independently Performs research of available literature to fill in knowledge gaps as needed
P referred Qualifications & Experience:
A qualified candidate will be expected to learn optical and electrical fabrication methods and techniques needed to support specific Arete development programs and low rate production of optical systems.
Overall Work Environment
• Standard Office Environment.
• Standard laboratory environment utilizing lasers and optical equipment.
• Clean room fabrication environment (requiring clean room garments)
• Occasional outdoor field testing may be required.
• Support of outdoor field tests.
• Occasional lifting of hardware will be required
• Occasional travel required
• Class 4 Lasers
• Optical Systems, Sensors, Spectrometers, Lidar systems
• Oscilloscopes, timing systems, DAQs, Cameras, lasers
Areté Associates is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request an accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access our career center as a result of your disability. To request an accommodation, contact a Arete Associates Human Resources Representative.
Areté will consider for employment-qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.