Lockheed Martin System Safety Engineer (early) in Littleton, Colorado
Description: The coolest jobs on this planet… or any other… are with Lockheed Martin Space.
At the dawn of a new space age, Lockheed Martin is a pioneer, partner, innovator and builder. Our amazing men and women are on a mission to make a difference in the world and every day we use our unique skills and experiences to create, design and build solutions to some of the worlds’ hardest engineering problems. Our culture encourages employees to dream big, perform with excellence and create incredible products. We provide the resources, inspiration and focus and if you have the passion and courage to dream big, we want to build a better tomorrow with you.
At Lockheed Martin Space (LM Space) we’re shaping the space technologies of tomorrow, today. LM Space is looking for an experienced System Safety Engineer to join our team in Littleton, CO supporting a wide range of program and central engineering functions - a unique opportunity to contribute to a diverse array of exciting missions. If you are an early to mid-career System Safety Engineer who has a passion for space, is a self-starter, thrives in a dynamic environment, leads by example, and has the ability to influence and foster collaboration and teamwork to generate impactful results, we’d like you on our team.
In this System Safety Engineer role, you will be responsible for performing hazard analyses and risk assessments on complex system designs in a variety of space-related applications. You will be expected to perform a wide range of system safety engineering tasks, to include:
• Generate and maintain System Safety Program Plans (SSPP)
• Define hardware/software safety requirements and ensure flow-down into the Systems Engineering process
• Perform a variety of hazard analyses across the full product life cycle, to include Preliminary Hazard Analysis (PHA), Subsystem Hazard Analysis (SSHA), System Hazard Analysis (SHA), Operating and Support Hazard Analysis (O&SHA), Functional Hazard Analysis (FHA), and Software Safety Hazard Analysis
• Review engineering design specifications, test operations, change proposals, deficiency reports, and deviation/waiver requests for safety impacts
• Support assembly, test, and launch operations (ATLO)
• Participate in incident investigations and root cause/corrective action analyses
• Interface with customer subject matter experts
• Prepare presentations, analyses, and reports for government safety boards, program design reviews, and test/mission readiness reviews
• Develop proposals, work statements, and specifications affecting system safety engineering scope and budget.
Typically has 5 - 10 years of professional experience.
To promote the sharing of ideas, Lockheed Martin fosters an inclusive work environment that encourages differences and big-picture thinking. Lockheed Martin Space offers a total compensation package from competitive wages, on-site medical care, 25 three-day weekends, and healthy living incentives just to name a few reasons to join Lockheed Martin. Learn more about Lockheed Martin’s competitive and comprehensive benefits package.
• Bachelors degree from an accredited college in an engineering-related discipline, or equivalent experience/combined education
• Knowledge/experience in system safety engineering, systems engineering, software engineering, or related field
• Excellent communication skills (written, verbal, presentation)
• Ability to collaborate in a multi-disciplinary, diverse, and dynamic team environment
• Proficient with MS Office products: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project
• Ability to travel up to 25%, as required
• Ability to work weekend and off-shift hours, as required.
• Must be United States citizen
• Must be willing and able to obtain a Secret government security clearance
• Current Secret-level security clearance
• Prior experience performing system safety engineering analyses on government or commercial space system development programs
• Familiarity with spacecraft Assembly, Test and Launch Operations (ATLO) activities and launch vehicle/ground system integration processes
• Software system safety experience on complex aerospace systems
• Familiarity with MIL-STD-882, DO-178C, AFSPCMAN 91-710, or other relevant industry and/or range safety standards
• Experience conducting incident investigations, root cause/corrective action analyses, or Functional Failure Modes and Effects Analyses (FFMEAs)
• Other product integrity experience (e.g. product assurance, mission success, reliability engineering)
Lockheed Martin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
As a leading technology innovation company, Lockheed Martin’s vast team works with partners around the world to bring proven performance to our customers’ toughest challenges. Lockheed Martin has employees based in many states throughout the U.S., and Internationally, with business locations in many nations and territories.
Join us at Lockheed Martin, where we’re engineering a better tomorrow.