Lockheed Martin Spacecraft Systems Engineer in Littleton, Colorado
Description: Do you have both an analytical and creative mindset and the ability to navigate changing priorities?
Space is not a place to go – space is a place to do! Going to space is just the beginning. It’s what you do when you get there that matters. Because space is a place to do big, important, epic things that connect people around the world, advance the frontiers of science, and help militaries protect what matters most. Lockheed Martin builds the technology that gets things done in space. Exploring the solar system. Predicting the weather. Delivering precise GPS. Detecting and defeating missile launches. At Lockheed Martin, we don’t just think big thoughts. We get things done. So become a Lockheed Martin Space Systems Engineer. You are meant to benefit humanity.”
Lockheed Martin is looking for a forward-thinking Spacecraft Systems Engineer Senior Staff for an exciting new program.
Your responsibilities include:
• Lead electrical subsystem designs to ensure compliance with the spacecraft level technical baseline, maintaining end to end compatibility, functional allocations and margins
• Oversee all electrical performance and integration, power modeling, channelization/electrical interconnect management, compatibility analysis.
• Lead architecture trade studies for spacecraft design, command and control and mission data processing
• Perform complex trades to establish the baseline architecture, incorporating components from multiple heritage systems as well as newly developed systems
• Serve as the delegate Systems Certified Principal Engineer (CPE) and support the Space Vehicle CPE, the technical advocate for the satellite throughout its lifecycle, from requirements definition through mission operations; the CPE verifies that the satellite aligns with both the Command Media and program technical requirements, and resists inappropriate compromise and risk, checks programmatic decisions, and balances technical performance, cost, schedule, and risk, while ensuring mission success
• Participate in developing and executing critical development reviews such as SRR, SDR, PDR and CDR, effectively communicating to program and customer management and executive leadership extemporaneously and in formal reviews
• Perform/lead Electrical compatibility and circuit analyses (working with IPTs, CPEs, RSEs)
• Ensure verification and validation flow for key system level electrical requirements
• Ensure appropriate risk mitigation activities for complex interfaces are performed to ensure a smooth integration at the system level
• Support Flight Software, Integration & Test (I&T), and system CPEs during integration and test phase (all levels), including leading or supporting anomaly investigations as appropriate
Typically has 14 - 20 years of professional experience.
To promote the sharing of ideas, Lockheed Martin cultivates an inclusive work environment that inspires differences and big-picture thinking.
Our employees play an active role in strengthening the quality of life where we live and work by volunteering more than 850,000 hours annually. Here are some of the benefits you can enjoy:
• Paid time off
• Work/life balance
• Career development
• Mentorship opportunities
• Rewards & recognition
Learn more about Lockheed Martin’s comprehensive benefits package.
• Satellite or spacecraft design, integration, test and/or operations
• Spacecraft integration and expertise in multiple spacecraft subsystems
• Demonstrated success in technical leadership role and driving issues/challenges to closure
• Familiarity with Systems Engineering and mission assurance fundamentals necessary for delivering the highest reliability space systems
• Willingness to travel for subcontractor oversight and launch campaigns
• Top Secret or SCI clearance and additional screening will apply
• Ability to achieve LM CPE and Engineering Material Review Board (EMRB) certification
• Prior experience as spacecraft or electrical subsystem/component CPE
• Experience in design/development phase of a major program
• Electrical design and integration (power modeling, electrical compatibility analysis, etc.)
• Integrating flight software and databases
• Creating/modifying system design artifacts per the requirements baseline
• Extensive technical understanding of the assigned product, accepting responsibility and accountability, and exercising authority including stopping production, test, or a launch
• A problem-solver with strong skills in decision-making (related to cost, schedule, technical and risk), and closure (dedication to close open items/issues) to ensure mission success
• Good facilitator and able to lead resolution of issues
• Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate complex design information, technical decisions and issues to both highly technical and non-technical reviewers.
• A firm understanding and demonstrated experience applying LM and/or industry engineering and systems engineering processes and principles to develop and deliver high reliability, high cost, nationally critical satellite systems
• Ability to analyze data from spacecraft subsystem providers (e.g. bus, payload) and demonstrate compatibility, assess requirements compliance, identify and resolve risks, and implement opportunities for improved solutions vs. system requirements
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills, strong social skills, and ability to build consensus among peers while building solid relationships with team members, leadership, and customers
• Recognized as an authority in systems thinking techniques with the demonstrated ability to apply them to a wide range of complex problems and train others in their application
• Missile or space segment design and test experience with one or more subsystems or disciplines outside of Systems Engineering
• Ability to lead multi-functional teams and lead multiple teams to communicate and coordinate work as one team with common goals
• Master’s Degree in Systems Engineering, INCOSE Certification, or relevant Graduate Certificate
Lockheed Martin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Join us at Lockheed Martin, where your mission is ours. Our customers tackle the hardest missions. Those that demand extraordinary amounts of courage, resilience and precision. They’re dangerous. Critical. Sometimes they even provide an opportunity to change the world and save lives. Those are the missions we care about.
As a leading technology innovation company, Lockheed Martin’s vast team works with partners around the world to bring proven performance to our customers’ toughest challenges. Lockheed Martin has employees based in many states throughout the U.S., and Internationally, with business locations in many nations and territories.