TRC Companies Principal Power Systems Engineer (Utility T&D) in Lakewood, Colorado
General Description of Position:
This position performs a substantial role in power system analysis and study work for Electrical Utility Systems Design and Analysis, Smart Grid, Reliability, Renewable and Distributed Resource, and Utility Networked Transmission projects. Will interface directly with clients to establish new projects and to develop proposals in response to requests for work. Must be competent to operate various power system software tools required for performing power system engineering studies and must also be capable of manipulating power system databases and establishing base cases for load flow and dynamic stability modeling. The Principal Engineer must also possess an understanding of both basic and complex power system calculation methodologies, terminologies, and techniques.
Essential Functions of Position:
1) Ability to develop proposals including a scope of work that details the established goals and objectives and clearly defines the deliverables and schedule of work to be performed.
2) Perform power system engineering studies and demonstrate a good working knowledge of power system planning, design and operation.
3) Participates in marketing to clients and of projects and identifying new and maintaining existing client relationships.
4) Ability to perform power system studies using standard software tools such as
PSS/E, PSLF, CYME, SKM, ASPEN, etc. Areas of analysis will include load flow for thermal and voltage assessment, fault studies for relay protection assessment, and dynamics for transient and steady state stability assessment. Mastery of one software expected.
5) Prepare and review written reports which explain the purpose, methodology, data requirements, recommendations and observations of power system engineering studies.
6) Ability to analyze results and develop conclusions on problems being studied.
7) Maintains a program of personal study to expand and improve technical and analytical skills.
8) Keep supervision informed of status of all projects relative to pre-established expectations.
9) Ability to work independently and with others while maintaining a high level of initiative and self-motivation.
Other Functions of Position:
- Serves as Team Lead on complex projects or a series of small projects.
- Serve on industry committees and associations as appropriate where potential clients network.
- Must have excellent written and oral communication skills to effectively communicate within the organization and outside with clients.
- Must have good PC skills and experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, Access and Outlook.
Perform all other duties as assigned.
Possess a four-year Bachelor of Science or Technology degree in Electrical Engineering or an equivalent amount of experience in the electrical engineering field.
- Ten or more years of proven work experience in power system operations or planning with emphasis on analysis and studies work.
- Professional Engineers License is required.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Lakewood, CO - LKW