Kinder Morgan EHS Engineer or Compliance Audit Senior (Environmental) in LAKEWOOD, Colorado
EHS Engineer or Compliance Audit Senior (Environmental)
Job ID #: 18393
7 - 10 Years
0276 -CORP EHS/GOV CONTR COMPLIANCE :KMI
Opportunity for a self-starter who enjoys working independently as well as being part of a valuable team within an entrepreneurial culture that is fast-paced and streamlined to conduct compliance audits of State and Federal regulations, and Kinder Morgan policies, at company owned and operated facilities. Audit the full range of Kinder Morgan operations, with a focus on environmental, health and safety (EHS) regulatory environments.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Coordinate and conduct field compliance audits at company owned and operated facilities to verify compliance with State and Federal regulations, and Kinder Morgan policies.
• Prepare audit reports, including tracking and documentation of findings to completion.
• Develop recommended corrective actions and provide photographs to support audit findings and good practices.
• Promote the Company s EHS philosophy and culture.
• Assist in implementation of and adherence to the Company s procedures.
• Work with field locations to identify solutions to audit findings.
• Assist in the development and enhancement of compliance review policies and procedures.
• Proactively plan, organize and oversee assigned work programs.
• Deal with a wide variety of people and personalities with tact, courtesy and professionalism across multiple business units, including but not limited to other employees, all levels of management, vendors and customers.
• Articulate and present ideas, proposals and results to various levels of management.
• Successfully resolve potential conflicts and foster win-win atmosphere with internal and external customers.
• Travel is required and anticipated 40-50% time away from the office and across a broad geographic region (U.S. coast to coast and Canadian provinces); motor vehicle and air travel is required.
• Write effectively, and understand verbal and written communications.
• Speak clearly, both in person and by telephone, using a high level of verbal skills, and listen carefully.
• Maintain a regular, dependable attendance, and high level of job performance.
• Maintain a high regard for personal safety, the safety of company assets and employees, and the general public.
• Other daily, weekly, and monthly duties, and special projects, as assigned.
• Carry a cell phone and respond during working hours and non-working hours as required.
• Work non-traditional hours as needed.
- The title of this position may vary depending upon the qualifications and skill set of the successful candidate.
• Bachelor Degree in Environmental Engineering or related discipline, from an accredited academic institution, is required.
• A minimum of 10 years Environmental Permitting and/or Compliance accompanied with some knowledge of other areas of environmental and/or safety work experience may be considered as an acceptable degree substitute.
EXPERIENCE / SPECIFIC KNOWLEDGE:
• In addition to the degree requirement (or degree substitute), 7 to 20 years direct and active work experience in Environmental Permitting and/or Compliance, along with some knowledge of Employee Safety field is needed.
• Oil and gas industry experience is a plus.
• Working knowledge of EPA, OSHA and DOT/PHMSA regulations, with the ability to make interpretations and apply systematically to potential deficiencies.
• Experience in developing and presenting materials to various levels of management.
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
• Must possess and maintain a valid driver license and a driving record satisfactory to the company and its insurers (for travel).
• Must possess or be eligible to acquire a U.S. passport.
• Must be able to obtain a Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC) card.
COMPETENCIES, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
• Advanced proficiency level with Microsoft applications and database software, specifically including but not limited to: Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint
• Excellent written and oral communication skills are necessary, including experience providing training, and interaction with employees and all levels of management.
• Must be able to successfully perform multiple tasks with strict and sometimes simultaneous deadlines.
• Must be able to work within a group, take direction from supervisor(s), exhibit excellent follow-through, focus attention on details, and follow work process.
• Must also be able to work autonomously as situation dictates.
• Ability to successfully perform the required and expected duties with minimal direct supervision.
• Must be able to perform all essential and marginal functions of the job.
• Must be willing and able to work around plant/production vessels and piping systems containing Hazardous atmospheres such as H2S and hydrocarbon gases which are flammable and may be explosive under certain circumstances.
• Physical requirements include and are not limited:
• Walk up and down stairs/ladders, sometimes to elevated platforms;
• Negotiate uneven and sometimes slippery surfaces;
• Lift and carry up to 50 pounds on an occasional basis;
• Comfortably work on top of oil storage tanks, catwalks, conveyor systems and material elevators to heights in excess of 100 feet.
• Based in Lakewood, Colorado or Houston, Texas office, consideration for another Kinder Morgan Corporate office near a major airport.
• 40-50% travel is required and anticipated.
• Job level commensurate with experience and skill sets.
• The successful candidate will be required to clear a drug screen and a complete background check, after an offer has been extended and prior to being employed.
PREFERRED Education, Experience, Certifications, Competencies, Skills, and Abilities:
ABOVE THE MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS; not required but ADVANTAGEOUS IN THIS POSITION:
• Professional certifications in an EHS or Engineering discipline, PE, PG, CIH, CSP, CHMM, Method 9 Opacity, QEP, etc., or background in PSM/RMP are considered a plus.
Experience in the oil & gas industry, terminals or refined petroleum products and or associated pipelines.
Familiarization with operations, environmental, and or safety management systems, ISO 14001, API RP 1173 and/or NEB.
Bi-lingual in English and Spanish is considered a plus. • Experience in conducting audits, assessments, or use of other evaluation tools for compliance, is desirable.
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed. This position may perform other duties as assigned.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.