Leidos Petroleum Engineer in GOLDEN, Colorado
The Division of Energy and Mineral Development (DEMD) falls under the U.S. Department of the Interior, Office of the Assistant Secretary-Indian Affairs, Office of Indian Energy and Economic Development. While technically a parallel organization to the Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA), DEMD supports American Indian Reservations and BIA agencies and regional offices, as well as some other federal offices.
The Division assists Tribes with the environmentally responsible exploration, development and management of their energy and mineral resources to create sustainable economies for reservations, generate new jobs and economic self-sufficiency. DEMD provides the best technical and economic advice and services to assist Indian mineral owners in achieving these goals through the environmentally sound development of their energy and mineral resources. Indian reservations – largely unexplored lands – hold vast, natural resources, and DEMD staff members are uniquely poised to offer services no other agency can provide.
DEMD-Lakewood, CO is currently staffed by approximately twenty (20) federal employees, including the Division Chief, Deputy Division Chief and Branch Chiefs, and twenty-four contractors (24), with a mixture of federal employees and contractors participating on various functional teams. The position described falls under the Branch of Fluid Minerals.
• Generate well decline forecasts, future production forecasts, remaining reserve analysis, stimulation recommendations, well work-over supervision, pipeline design analysis, facility design, and assistance on potential field expansion.
• Generate economic evaluations and sensitivity analyses concerning oil and gas operations; provide potential income forecasts and negotiating information for potential Indian Mineral Development Act (IMDA) agreements.
• Provide oil, gas, and mineral training and education to the Tribes.
• Perform well log analysis on wells to evaluate possible bypassed production and to research potential additional production capabilities.
• Perform reservoir simulations and characterizations to maximize oil and gas production.
• Apply petroleum engineering principles to the production of coal bed methane wells, shallow low pressure wells, tight gas wells, resource plays, and unconventional wells.
• Serve as technical specialist and liaison between Indian tribes, agencies and commercial contractors on complex project issues, processes or methods.
Required Skills and Experience: Bachelor's degree in Petroleum Engineering or related field. At least five years’ experience with engineering activities concerning the drilling, completion, log interpretation and reservoir evaluations. An additional four years of experience may be considered in lieu of degree.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a federal Public Trust Clearance
• Basic knowledge of petroleum engineering and oil and gas deposits.
• Understanding of resource and reserve estimation methods for oil and natural gas deposits.
• Knowledge of conventional and horizontal drilling methods.
• Knowledge of conventional and hydraulic fracturing completion methods
• Familiar with well log analysis programs
• Experience with economic analysis of oil and gas deposits, decline curve analysis, Ultimate Estimate of recovery discounted cash flow, rate of return, present value,
• Familiarity with at least one commercial software program used for reserve estimation
_ Other Requirements:_
Must be able to travel up to 20% of the time
Experience with and knowledge of the dynamics of working with American Indian Tribes and on their reservations is a plus
Experience with Kingdom and/or GIS mapping software a plus
Leidos is a global science and technology solutions leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported pro forma annual revenues of approximately $10 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2016 after giving effect to the recently completed combination of Leidos with Lockheed Martin's Information Systems & Global Solutions business (IS&GS). For more information, visit www.Leidos.com. The company’s diverse employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Leidos will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment in accordance with relevant Laws. Leidos is an Equal Opportunity Employer.