Jeppesen Manager, Software Engineering in Englewood, Colorado
Manages employees performing engineering and technical activities in the area of Software Engineering. Develops and executes project and process plans, implements policies and procedures and sets operational goals. Acquires resources for projects and processes, provides technical management of suppliers and leads process improvements. Develops and maintains relationships and partnerships with customers, stakeholders, peers, partners and direct reports. Provides oversight and approval of technical approaches, products and processes. Manages subordinate staff to include recruiting, training, performance and compensation management, motivating, delegating and monitoring results.
- Develops project or operational plans aligned to department's objectives. Implements plans to ensure business, technical and customer requirements are achieved. Assigns authority and responsibilities to employees to execute the plan. Reviews plans' execution, makes appropriate adjustments, and resolves issues. Monitors appropriate metrics to ensure performance to plan.
- Obtains and manages facilities, services, equipment, and tools to meet project and daily operating requirements. Acquires, deploys and schedules personnel to meet project and operational objectives. Reviews, approves and implements facility, equipment and service plans to maximize productivity and ensure safety, security, environmental and regulatory compliance. Coordinates with providers to achieve timely delivery of resources.
- Manages subordinate staff. Forecasts resource needs and makes hiring decisions. Coaches, counsels, mentors and provides developmental opportunities and job assignments to enhance employee performance and expand capabilities. Provides on-going developmental feedback. Makes compensation recommendations in regards to hiring salaries and salary review actions. Recognizes contributions of individuals and teams to improve employee satisfaction and retain a skilled and motivated workforce. Enforces company rules and policies regarding ethical behavior, safety, security, use of company property, time charging, etc.
- Provides technical direction and guidance to others regarding approved processes, tools, technology and skills for own projects or processes. Ensures workgroup products or processes meet customer, company, quality, industry and regulatory requirements. Provides approval of workgroup technical approaches, products and processes.
- Develops workgroup, project or operational goals, objectives and related metrics to ensure alignment with Company vision/strategy. Measures progress, making adjustments as needed. Holds direct reports accountable for achieving goals. Achieves goals for productivity, quality and customer satisfaction.
- Establishes partnerships and relationships with internal customers, stakeholders, peers and direct reports.
- Generates requirements and analyzes technical approach, statement of work, labor and deliverables for workgroup, projects or process to ensure a quality product is received. Participates in make/buy decisions and recommends source selection. Creates and executes supplier technical oversight plans for internal/external sources. Recommends disposition of supplier deliverables. Interfaces with suppliers and subcontractors for verification and validation of requirements.
- Conveys organizational messages to facilitate the accomplishment of workgroup, project or process goals. Proactively communicates with employees, peers (e.g., fellow first-level managers) and customers. Keeps others informed by communicating project status, conducting and participating in team meetings, providing presentations and listening to employee concerns and suggestions. Communicates policies and directives to enhance employee awareness of expectations.
Technical degree in a related field of study and typically 8 or more years' related work experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Knowledge of policies and procedures that typically affect individual subordinate employees. Knowledge of skills and abilities required by subordinate employees to accomplish organizational responsibilities.
- Ability to accomplish results through employees who exercise significant latitude and independence in their assignments. Often heads a centralized functional activity.
- Skilled in advising a unit regarding tasks, projects and operations. Actively involved in daily operations only when required to meet schedule or resolve complex problems.
- Ensures that projects are completed on schedule and within budget.
- Frequent contacts with internal personnel and outside customer representatives concerning operations, scheduling or specific phases of projects or contracts.