M. C. Dean, Inc. UPS TECHNICIAN 3 - DENVER, CO in Denver, Colorado
UPS TECHNICIAN 3 - DENVER, CO
M.C. Dean, Inc. is the nation’s premier electrical design-build and systems integration firm for complex, mission-critical organizations. M.C. Dean’s capabilities include electrical, electronic security, telecommunications, life-safety, instrumentation and control, and command and control systems. M.C. Dean, Inc. serves a diverse group of markets including Fortune 1000 corporations; universities; high tech and biotech firms; Federal; state, and local government clients; and other organizations with large scale, complex, and mission-critical infrastructure needs. Established in 1949, M.C. Dean, Inc. has earned a reputation as an innovator and pioneer. Headquartered in Dulles, Virginia, M.C. Dean, Inc. employs more than 2,500 professionals in offices throughout the Eastern United States, Europe and the Middle East.
M.C. Dean, Inc. offers an excellent benefits package including a competitive salary; medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurance; paid-time off; tuition reimbursement; 401k Retirement Plan and Military Reserve pay offset.
For more information about our company, you can visit www.mcdean.com.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
CRITICAL POWER DIVISION INTRODUCTION:
The Critical Power Group is responsible for maintaining, servicing, and troubleshooting UPS systems, batteries, and other critical infrastructure equipment. Our technicians are factory trained on most major UPS manufacturers of static equipment (e.g., Ametek, SCI, Cyberex, Toshiba, Mitsubishi, Gutor, APC, MGE, Schneider Electric, Powerware/Eaton to name a few). Our technicians perform preventive maintenance and equipment testing as well as emergency service calls at high profile government, institutional and commercial customer facilities. The Critical Power Group also provides engineering and technical support to customers and other divisions of M.C. Dean, Inc.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Daily travel with independent work structure
Emergency call availability 24/7 unless on PTO or Off Call.
Maintain/safeguard company issued equipment, tools, and instruments
Battery Repair & Replacement; installations and replacements.
Perform required preventative maintenance service to equipment under contract as scheduled.
Customer contact and interface.
Communicate availability status to corporate office.
Communicate availability status to Team Lead or manager
Protect company proprietary information, manuals, and records
Use of electronic and electrical test equipment as necessary
Coordinate and manage all on-site subcontractors hired by M.C. Dean as necessary
Maintain company or personal vehicle in safe and operational condition; maintain insurance as required by company.
Insure that work is performed to M.C. Dean Standards
Complete all paperwork, including Field Service Reports, Time Sheets, and Expense Reports, and other job required reports timely and accurately
Provide technical support to customers upon request.
Maintain Technical documentation for study and/or review.
Willing and able to attend product specific training as company deems necessary.
Cross train other (UPS technicians) as needed.
Other duties as required.
• Inspects power electronic systems and their associated controls. Typical systems include but are not limited to UPS systems, battery systems associated with power backup systems, Static Transfer Switches, Power Distribution Units and their associated controls. Inspections include, but are not limited to Initial, In-process, Visual Condition, and Final Inspections, Maintenance Operational Checks, and Failure Analysis, and repairs.
• Certifies by signature to the customer that systems and components adhere to quality standards established by applicable codes, publications, checklists and specifications.
• Reviews and checks system drawings and specifications for accuracy and completeness. Technician will determine maintenance requirements, inspection requirements, and compliance with technical resolved discrepancies between recorded and actual system components by research with owner/manufacturer or by physical inspection. Corrects and certifies changes entered for record.
• Provides technical assistance and expertise on power electronic devices to owners and engineers. Technician must perform inspections, technical assistance, maintenance assistance, and instruction of site personnel, advises site personnel on proper maintenance practices, procedures, and techniques. Reviews and interprets existing technical publications applicable to inspection, modification, and maintenance of power electronics. Resolves technical problems encountered. Prepares reports of findings and makes recommendations on system improvements and implementing quality control programs.
• The physical demands are represented of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job, including lifting and installing batteries. Company expects the employee to observe all safety standards.
• Maintains operational expertise with the following instruments:
a) Digital Multi-meter
b) Power Analyzer
c) Infrared Camera
d) Digital Camera
e) Insulation Test Equipment
f) EMI/EMF Meters
g) Battery Test Equipment (Alber/Midtronics)
• Requires 7X24X365 availability when on call. Job Position may require overnight travel at company expense.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Work is performed under general supervision of the Regional Mangers and Team Leads. Technician receives assignments in terms of schedules, priorities, and general instructions pertaining to special problem areas. Is afforded freedom of action within the framework of established policies, procedures, and production schedules; accomplishing assignments on own initiative. Completed work is subject to review for adherence to policy, soundness of recommendations, and overall accomplishment of organizational tasks and functions.
The primary purpose of this position is to provide inspection and certification of power electronics and their key components. The end goal is to obtain reliability, availability & quality of power while improving or sustaining the maintainability of the electrical system.
AA/BS degree in Electrical and/or Electronics from an accredited college or university, or equivalent training from the military.
Minimum of two years OEM experience (Ametek, SCI, Cyberex, Toshiba, Mitsubishi, Gutor, APC, MGE, Schneider Electric, Powerware/Eaton) or eight years of progressively difficult experience in power electronic system maintenance and repair.
Proficiency in reading and interpreting complex technical instructions, plans blueprints, and schematic diagrams.
Experience with Battery, DC plant, Inverter, and Rectifier systems.
Strong working knowledge of NEC, maintenance practices, maintenance and supply procedures, and quality control procedures.
Demonstrated ability to evaluate complex electrical systems, perform damage assessments, estimate maintenance, parts, and manpower requirements, diagnose malfunctions, and employ testing and inspection techniques.
Capable of achieving “Top Secret” governmental security clearance.
Use of laptop computer, various software packages and other electronic communication devices will be required.
Requires strong written and oral communication skills.
Future training and certification requirements: Various Manufacturer Maintenance Courses, Power Quality Training Course/Certification.
Technician preferred to be proficient in Microsoft Office products.
Applicant must be highly motivated and prepared to work in a critical environment.
The Technician must be capable of interfacing with the Customer and End User in a professional manner.
This position may require ongoing or intermittent use of a company vehicle. Selected candidates must possess an acceptable driving record in accordance to our policy.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/DisabledVEVRAA Contractor