Honeywell Lead Optical Engineer in Broomfield, Colorado
The future is what you make it!
When you join Honeywell, you become a member of our global team of thinkers, innovators, dreamers and doers who make the things that make the future. That means changing the way we fly, fueling jets in an eco-friendly way, keeping buildings safe and even making it possible to breathe on Mars. Working at Honeywell isn’t just about developing cool things. That’s why all of our employees enjoy access to dynamic career opportunities across different fields and industries.
Honeywell Quantum Solutions is focused on developing the world’s most advanced quantum computers, with ‘full stack’ capability from user interface software to the hardware layer and trapped ions. Our world-class team of scientists and engineers leverages expertise in complex hardware and software control systems, advanced optics and lasers, magnetics, cryogenics, atomic physics, and ultra-high vacuum environments to design and build systems with best-in-class performance in terms of both fidelity and qubit count. Honeywell believes quantum information systems will revolutionize the way many industries work. As a leading technology company, we intend to help shape the adoption and integration of those systems into the markets of our customers. We’re hiring the world’s best physicists and quantum engineers to make it happen.
Are you ready to help us make the future?
Honeywell Quantum Solutions team is looking for a highly qualified Lead Optical Engineer to lead optical design, development and test of next generation laser delivery systems and high-resolution cameras for complex and high-density ion traps used in Honeywell’s world class quantum computer. This position will also provide technical leadership as part of a cross functional product team working on complex electro-opto-mechanical product initiatives; and leveraging your system-level expertise and interact with other teams to assist in overall development of Beam Delivery optics.
· Lead design and development of very complex laser beam delivery and detection systems requiring sub-micron-tolerances
· You will lead a team of scientists and engineers to design and develop sub-micron precision opto-mechanical assemblies and sub-systems
· You will build prototypes, create detailed drawings and instructions for production
· You will perform risk and tolerance analysis and perform subsystem sensitivity and monte-carlo analysis
· You will perform optical alignment and tests using interferometers, beam profilers, and other metrology equipment
· You will collaborate with team leads and program managers in the development of project plans, proposals, and schedules
YOU MUST HAVE:
· Bachelor's Degree in Engineering required.
· Minimum 10+ years’ experience with designing complex high precision optical and mechanical systems using Zemax (or similar software)
· 5+ years working knowledge of optical concepts such as ray aberrations, waves, diffraction, interference, Gaussian propagation, laser, imaging, etc
· 2+ years working knowledge of mechanical engineering concepts needed to deliver ultra-high precision optics
· Applicants for employment for this position must have work authorization that does not now or in the future require sponsorship of a visa for employment authorization in the United States and with Honeywell. (i.e., H1-B visa, F-1 visa (OPT), TN visa or any other non-immigrant status)
· A PhD degree in Science or Engineering
· Experience and understanding of Quantum optics
· Experience in microscopy imaging, signal cross talk, and low-signal detection techniques.
· At least 5 years of project management experience
· Experience in taking a lead role in optical systems development
· Experience in designing for manufacturing
· Experience working with Solidworks
Compensation & Benefits:
Salary Range (min-mid): $114,000- $143,000
For benefits information please visit https://careers.honeywell.com/us/en/honeywell-benefits. Current employees may visit HR Direct.
Honeywell is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to age, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, nationality, sex, religion, or veteran status.