Ball Corporation / Ball Aerospace Sr. Spacecraft Mechanical Engineering Lead (664591) in Boulder, Colorado
Who We Are:
Ball Aerospace leads the way in designing, developing and manufacturing innovative aerospace systems. We take on some of the most complex and exciting challenges in the universe--from space and Earth science to national security and intelligence programs.
We produce spacecraft, instruments and sensors, RF and microwave technologies, data exploitation solutions, and a variety of advanced aerospace technologies and products. In addition, we pioneered the development of the commercial remote sensing market, producing spacecraft and imaging systems that helped spawn a market-driven demand for imagery.
Our success is built on more than products or systems. Our team of more than 3,000 engineers, scientists, technicians and support staff drives all the achievements at Ball Aerospace. Whether contributing to a better understanding of the universe or helping keep our nation safe, our people bring their diverse backgrounds, perspectives and skills together to achieve a common mission.
Sr. Spacecraft Mechanical Engineering Lead
Spacecraft Engineering is looking for a Mechanical Subsystem Engineer with a background in thermal and propulsion engineering to help define and lead our Small Satellite product line into the future.
What You’ll Do:
- Rapidly produce CAD models of Bus configurations using different component suites and payload notions.
- Conduct structural trade studies, including make/buy options.
- Evaluate and assess current and innovative aerospace mechanical, thermal, and propulsion components and subsystems to identify potential suppliers for the future Ball Small Satellite product offering.
- Take high-level mission requirements and derive subsystem and component level requirements.
- Obtain the necessary knowledge to lead thermal and propulsion trade studies, including make/buy options.
- Perform subsystem-level analyses and produce data products such as mass equipment lists, mass properties reports, propellant budgets, and rudimentary structural heat rejection quantifications.
- Create and present viewgraphs describing spacecraft subsystems with maturity to optimize presentations for specific customers and audiences.
- Execution-Leadership Balance: the initial effort will consist of engineering execution with an eventual transition to leadership of the engineering design teams.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the SBU/SSU and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 8 or more years related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of related experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- An enthusiasm to embrace the concepts of design-to-cost, lean operations, agile work flow.
- Excellent communication skills in the team environment.
- Experience with CAD software.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or clean room, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Successful applicant for this position must be eligible to obtain a DoD clearance. A current DoD clearance is not required to be eligible for this position, however the successful applicant will be required to obtain a DoD clearance within a reasonable time after the offer is extended and must be able to maintain the applicable clearance. * US Citizenship is Required
Relocation for this position is Available
US CITIZENSHIP REQUIRED
Equal Opportunity Employer
Minority, Female, Disabled, Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual, Transgender and Veterans.
Job Title: Sr. Spacecraft Mechanical Engineering Lead (664591)
Job ID: 664591
Location: CO - Boulder
Full/Part Time: Full-Time