Ball Corporation / Ball Aerospace Senior Engineer-System Fault Protection Thread Lead (664695) - Security clearance required in Boulder, Colorado
Who We Are:
Ball Aerospace leads the way in designing, developing and manufacturing innovative aerospace systems. We take on some of the most complex and exciting challenges in the universe--from space and Earth science to national security and intelligence programs.
We produce spacecraft, instruments and sensors, RF and microwave technologies, data exploitation solutions, and a variety of advanced aerospace technologies and products. In addition, we pioneered the development of the commercial remote sensing market, producing spacecraft and imaging systems that helped spawn a market-driven demand for imagery.
Our success is built on more than products or systems. Our team of more than 3,000 engineers, scientists, technicians and support staff drives all the achievements at Ball Aerospace. Whether contributing to a better understanding of the universe or helping keep our nation safe, our people bring their diverse backgrounds, perspectives and skills together to achieve a common mission.
Senior Engineer* –*System Fault Protection Thread Lead **
This leadership position is for an experienced system engineer who can lead a team to establish the fault protection baseline for space vehicles.
What You’ll Do:
- Provide systems engineering leadership to develop spacecraft fault protection architectures.
- Develop a working knowledge of the vehicles subsystems (payloads, propulsion, power, telecom, command and data handling, guidance, navigation and controls, and flight software).
- Understand failure modes and effects for vehicle subsystems and components.
- Establish responses to keep the vehicle safe should a failure occur.
- Tailor and implement existing fault containment strategies based on program needs and requirements.
- Clearly and thoroughly document the fault management approach in Systems Engineering Reports, including detailed description of technical designs and applicable Ball philosophy.
- Serve as the technical point of contact to external customers in the fault management area.
- Interact with multiple subject matter experts to develop telemetry monitors and their associated responses.
- Work with the verification team to establish the framework to properly allocate, trace and verify fault protection requirements.
- Develop test plans, test procedures, and test scripts, and execute test campaigns to verify fault protection designs.
- Own the Fault protection design, development, review, test, and training process from program onset to delivery.
- Support proposal efforts from a fault protection perspective
- Prepare and give presentations to peers, management and customers.
- Lead teams of subject matter experts to solve unique design challenges related spacecraft health and safety
- Support the integration and test team during bus and vehicle level fault management tests
- Work with internal and external payload experts to ensure payload fault conditions are detected and responded to accordingly.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- Bachelor's degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required, plus 8 or more years related experience in either space vehicle systems, space vehicle operations or space vehicle test.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Current Top Secret security clearance is required.
- Experience with applicable spacecraft subsystems is highly desired.
- Experience with simulator/hardware test development and execution, as well as mission operations is a plus.
- Demonstrated experience fault protection – an understanding of how failures occur, their effects and how to protect the vehicle.
- Demonstrated ability to write effective and verifiable requirements – detailed oriented.
- A strong technical foundation – people who learn and grow.
- Flexibility to manage differing technical opinions, evolving customer needs, challenging budgets and schedules, and limited resources is required.
- Effective in small team work environment with broad responsibilities and minimal oversight.
- A desire to learn – our culture fosters intellectual curiosity in a highly collaborative environment.
- Customer Relationships: Extensive knowledge of missions and customers across core technologies areas. Knowledge/experience working with critical customer base, established relationships with key personnel within customer community.
- Superb writing and presentation skills with experience communicating to senior decision-makers and technical audiences.
- Top candidates will be goal oriented individuals with excellent organizational skills, a team mindset, and will be capable of coming up to speed quickly on the assigned program.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or clean room, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Successful candidate will have completed a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information. *U.S. Citizenship is Required.
Relocation for this position is Available
US CITIZENSHIP REQUIRED
Equal Opportunity Employer
Minority, Female, Disabled, Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual, Transgender and Veterans.
Job Title: Senior Engineer-System Fault Protection Thread Lead (664695) - Security clearance required
Job ID: 664695
Location: CO - Boulder
Full/Part Time: Full-Time