Ball Corporation / Ball Aerospace Manager-Thermal Vacuum & Climatics (663040) in Boulder, Colorado
Who We Are:
Ball Aerospace leads the way in designing, developing and manufacturing innovative aerospace systems. We take on some of the most complex and exciting challenges in the universe--from space and Earth science to national security and intelligence programs.
We produce spacecraft, instruments and sensors, RF and microwave technologies, data exploitation solutions, and a variety of advanced aerospace technologies and products. In addition, we pioneered the development of the commercial remote sensing market, producing spacecraft and imaging systems that helped spawn a market-driven demand for imagery.
Our success is built on more than products or systems. Our team of more than 3,000 engineers, scientists, technicians and support staff drives all the achievements at Ball Aerospace. Whether contributing to a better understanding of the universe or helping keep our nation safe, our people bring their diverse backgrounds, perspectives and skills together to achieve a common mission.
Manager – Thermal Vacuum and Climatics
Manage departmental functions and ensure all policies, procedures, and programs meet and support operational objectives. Responsible for execution of thermal vacuum and climatics testing for state of the art aerospace products. Will also be responsible for interfacing with customers, providing leadership to lab personnel, performing tests, capturing and analyzing data, to ensure customer requirements are met.
What You’ll Do:
- Perform tests and test engineering services for state of the art aerospace products, review program test plans and requirements, to ensure facility and equipment capabilities meet program needs.
- Engage programs early to help plan test activities to ensure success. Proactively work with internal customers to understand test requirements.
- Work with a team of Facility Engineers, Test Engineers, Manufacturing Engineers, Thermal Engineers, Hardware Quality Engineers, Inspectors, and Technicians.
- Develop test engineering documentation (e.g. plans, procedures and reports) and present test results to internal and external customers.
- Lead day to day activities such as, budget, scheduling, troubleshooting, root cause analysis, corrective actions, preventative maintenance plans, validate equipment and test methods.
- Maintain standard procedures, applies knowledge and skills to test operations.
- Create a long-term vision, drive process improvement initiatives and capital programs to build and maintain a world class test facility. Defines new equipment needs; forward vision and plan development.
- Develop and manage department metrics.
- Select, motivate and counsel employees, administer salary and budget programs; ensure employee safety; plan, organize, integrate and measure work performed within the department.
- Set expectations, execute and monitor training and development plans throughout the department.
- Develop strategic direction for department and lead employees and the company into innovative and new directions to accomplish the organization’s goals.
- Serve as a resource on projects requiring advanced knowledge in thermal vacuum test operations.
- Develop and maintain departmental budget. Ensure adherence to budget and manage departmental operations in a fiscally responsible manner.
- Maintain an open and effective interface with employees and management.
- Ensure that all business is conducted using the highest ethical standards and in compliance with all applicable laws, statutes, and regulations as well as company policies and directives.
- Conceive and develop solutions to departmental problems through the application of professionally accepted techniques, practices, and procedures.
- Review and approve personnel actions.
- Represent Ball Aerospace at AIAA Working Group for Space Simulation.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units/Strategic Support Unit and the Company. Interact appropriately with others to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- BS/BA in related field plus 8 years or more related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e. Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Two years of related experience may be substituted for each year of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Strong customer interface and leadership skills will be required.
- Experience with thermal vacuum and climatics testing.
- Knowledge in the use and limitations of TQCMs, leak detectors, pumps, controllers, data acquisition systems and other related support GSE.
- Software evaluation skills and a strong working knowledge of MS Office, LabVIEW, C-more and Delphi.
- Experience in working with people at all levels.
- Proven leadership and program execution skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Effective presentation skills.
- Experience in anomaly resolution, troubleshooting, and documentation.
- Capable of resolving technical problems or discrepancies with the team, customers, and subcontractors, in a timely manner.
- Recognized as an expert in their field. Promote development of a strong team by participation in key aspects of the project and mentoring more junior team members.
- Ability to review and accurately interpret schematics, drawings, specifications and procedures for completeness and compliance to test requirements.
- Must be able to work cross organizationally with process shareholders.
- Willing and able to obtain a security clearance.
- Knowledge of metrology and utilization of calibrated equipment.
- Will be required to obtain company certifications.
- Competent using MS Office.
- Maintain and update required records and reports.
- Work is performed in an office, clean room, or production environment.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Successful applicant for this position must be eligible to obtain a DoD clearance. A current DoD clearance is not required to be eligible for this position, however the successful applicant will be required to obtain a DoD clearance within a reasonable time after the offer is extended and must be able to maintain the applicable clearance. * US Citizenship is Required
Relocation for this position is Available
US CITIZENSHIP REQUIRED
Equal Opportunity Employer
Minority, Female, Disabled, Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual, Transgender and Veterans.
Job Title: Manager-Thermal Vacuum & Climatics (663040)
Job ID: 663040
Location: CO - Boulder
Full/Part Time: Full-Time