Ball Corporation / Ball Aerospace Detector Engineering Systems Engineer (663687) in Boulder, Colorado
Who We Are:
Ball Aerospace leads the way in designing, developing and manufacturing innovative aerospace systems. We take on some of the most complex and exciting challenges in the universe--from space and Earth science to national security and intelligence programs.
We produce spacecraft, instruments and sensors, RF and microwave technologies, data exploitation solutions, and a variety of advanced aerospace technologies and products. In addition, we pioneered the development of the commercial remote sensing market, producing spacecraft and imaging systems that helped spawn a market-driven demand for imagery.
Our success is built on more than products or systems. Our team of more than 3,000 engineers, scientists, technicians and support staff drives all the achievements at Ball Aerospace. Whether contributing to a better understanding of the universe or helping keep our nation safe, our people bring their diverse backgrounds, perspectives and skills together to achieve a common mission.
Staff Consultant – Detector Engineering Systems Engineer
Detector Engineer to fill technical and leadership roles in support of design, analysis, fabrication, test, and operation of spacecraft / aircraft electro-optical systems for commercial, DoD and NASA customers.
What You’ll Do:
- Lead the development of custom visible (CCD and visible hybrid), NIR, SWIR, MWIR (3 - 5 micron, and LWIR (8-12 micron) camera systems for space applications.
- Responsible for defining the system architecture and providing conceptual guidance in the design and test of low noise focal plane detectors used in high-speed video, LIDAR and scientific space-based applications.
- Develop system specifications used to specify, develop and design custom detectors.
- Work directly with detector and electronics hardware to demonstrate performance, to debug operational issues, and to characterize devices.
- Perform detector system analysis including radiometric analysis, MTF analysis, noise analysis, and radiation effects modeling.
- Lead cross functional teams including optical, electrical, mechanical, thermal, and systems engineers to develop and to optimize detector system performance.
- Identify opportunities for internal research and development programs and lead funded projects to success.
- Contribute to the development of the roadmap for detector systems.
- Manage cost, schedule, and system performance to meet program goals.
- Communicate across programs to facilitate development of devices and execution of programs within Ball teams, customers, and detector vendors.
- Identify and lead proposal efforts for new camera systems and detector technologies.
- Lead detector procurement activities and vendor selection processes including technical subcontract management off-site
- Travel to vendor sites as needed for project execution and device development.
- Guide and mentor junior engineers and promote skills growth in the Detector Engineering Team including teaching internal classes and developing internal materials.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- BS or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required, plus 16 or more years of related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Advanced knowledge of visible, NIR, SWIR, MWIR, and LWIR detector characterization, design, and system level integration.
- Experience with modeling and performance analysis of visible, NIR, SWIR, MWIR, and LWIR detectors.
- Experience reviewing detector designs and layouts.
- Experience developing and running radiometric tests on detectors.
- Experience with mechanical packaging of detectors and the associated thermal and contamination control design.
- Experience as electronics lead on focal plane projects or focal plane electronics design.
- Experience with low noise video readout design.
- Demonstrated technical subcontract management experience.
- Effective interpersonal skills including demonstrated leadership and team building skills.
- Effective oral and written communication skills and presentation skills.
- Hands-on electronics skills and electronic test equipment experience.
- Advanced detector integration, test, and evaluation skills.
- Experience with detector operation in radiation environments.
- Experience with image processing and noise reduction algorithms.
- Experience with detector operation in a tactical environment and/or experience with "flight" hardware programs, i.e., "space-qualified” hardware.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or clean room, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Successful applicant for this position must be eligible to obtain a DoD clearance. A current DoD clearance is not required to be eligible for this position, however the successful applicant will be required to obtain a DoD clearance within a reasonable time after the offer is extended and must be able to maintain the applicable clearance. * US Citizenship is Required
Relocation for this position is Available
US CITIZENSHIP REQUIRED
Equal Opportunity Employer
Minority, Female, Disabled, Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual, Transgender and Veterans.
Job Title: Detector Engineering Systems Engineer (663687)
Job ID: 663687
Location: CO - Boulder
Full/Part Time: Full-Time