Ball Corporation / Ball Aerospace Associate Detector Engineer (664671) in Boulder, Colorado
Who We Are:
Ball Aerospace leads the way in designing, developing and manufacturing innovative aerospace systems. We take on some of the most complex and exciting challenges in the universe--from space and Earth science to national security and intelligence programs.
We produce spacecraft, instruments and sensors, RF and microwave technologies, data exploitation solutions, and a variety of advanced aerospace technologies and products. In addition, we pioneered the development of the commercial remote sensing market, producing spacecraft and imaging systems that helped spawn a market-driven demand for imagery.
Our success is built on more than products or systems. Our team of more than 3,000 engineers, scientists, technicians and support staff drives all the achievements at Ball Aerospace. Whether contributing to a better understanding of the universe or helping keep our nation safe, our people bring their diverse backgrounds, perspectives and skills together to achieve a common mission.
Associate Detector Engineer
Detector Engineer to support of design, analysis, fabrication, test and operation of spacecraft / tactical electro-optical systems for commercial, DoD, and NASA customers.
What you’ll do:
- Support the development of custom UV, visible (CCD and visible hybrid), NIR, SWIR, MWIR (3 - 5 micron) and LWIR (8-12 micron) camera systems for high reliability applications
- Develop design of experiment, test plans, and test procedures for low noise focal plane detectors used in high-speed video, LIDAR, and scientific space-based applications
- Work directly with detector and electronics hardware to demonstrate performance, to debug operational issues, and to characterize devices
- Perform detector system analysis including DC and EO (electro-optic) detector test, radiometric test, MTF analysis, noise analysis, radiation damage analysis
- Execute ALT, radiation, and performance tests on detectors
- Work on cross functional teams including optical, electrical, mechanical, thermal, and systems engineers to develop and to optimize detector system performance
- Interface with Ball Aerospace teams, customers and detector vendors
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What you’ll need:
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required.
- Each higher-level related degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of related experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Experience in detector test, laboratory equipment design/repair, electronics design and/or breadboard fabrication.
- Demonstrated knowledge of UV, visible, NIR, SWIR, MWIR, or LWIR detector characterization.
- Experience developing and running radiometric tests on detectors.
- Experience working in a cleanroom.
- Effective interpersonal skills.
- Effective oral and written communication skills and presentation skills.
- Hands-on electronics skills and electronic test equipment experience.
- Experience with detector operation in a tactical environment and/or experience with "flight" hardware programs, i.e., "space-qualified" hardware preferred.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or clean room, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Successful applicant for this position must be eligible to obtain a DoD clearance. A current DoD clearance is not required to be eligible for this position, however the successful applicant will be required to obtain a DoD clearance within a reasonable time after the offer is extended and must be able to maintain the applicable clearance. * US Citizenship is Required
Relocation for this position is Available
US CITIZENSHIP REQUIRED
Equal Opportunity Employer
Minority, Female, Disabled, Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual, Transgender and Veterans.
Job Title: Associate Detector Engineer (664671)
Job ID: 664671
Location: CO - Boulder
Full/Part Time: Full-Time